[Python-Dev] Relative import

Kevin Jacobs jacobs at penguin.theopalgroup.com
Tue Dec 16 13:35:14 EST 2003

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> There is the remaining issue of what exactly the syntax would be.  I
> propose to extend the from clause to allow one or more dots before the
> dotted name, and to make the dotted name optional if at least one
> leading dot is found.  I propose not to change from-less import.
> Examples:
>
>   from .foo import bar
>   from .foo.bar import xxx
>   from . import foobar as barfoo
>   from ..foo.bar import *
>   from ... import foobar, barfoo
>
> Grammar change (see Grammar/Grammar):
>
> dotted_name: NAME ('.' NAME)* | '.'+ [NAME ('.' NAME)*]

On a related and minor note, can we please expand the grammar to allow
from...import statements to continue to the next line after a trailing
comma?  For those of us with large, complex, and componentized projects, it
would be very nice.  e.g.:

from OPAL.Modules.Financial.Reports.COGS import generate, webOptions,
                                                normalize, row_ops,
                                                summary

instead of:

from OPAL.Modules.Financial.Reports.COGS import generate, webOptions, \
                                                normalize, row_ops,   \
                                                summary

This has been a minor nit that bothers just under the threshold of fixing it
myself.  ;)

Thanks,
-Kevin

Kevin Jacobs
The OPAL Group - Enterprise Systems Architect
Voice: (440) 871-6725 x 19         E-mail: jacobs at theopalgroup.com
Fax:   (440) 871-6722              WWW:    http://www.theopalgroup.com/