open == file considered harmful (Re: [Python-Dev] RE: rexec.pyunuseable)

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Dec 17 12:26:13 EST 2003

[Michael Chermside]
> I disagree. Right now, having access to a class object basically
> gives one the ability to create new objects of that type. I
> think that's just fine... and I don't mind applying it to the
> file object. I'd think that the thing to do with untrusted code
> is to deny it access to the 'file' type object, thus denying it
> the ability to create new 'file's directly.
>
> After all, it's not like file has lots of useful classmethods...
> client code which is not supposed to create new files has no
> particular need to access the 'file' object. Oh yes, except
> that it may have INSTANCES of 'file' and could access
> f.__class__. But if it is RESTRICTED code, then the only
> legitimate use of f.__class__ is to do typechecking (it's
> arguable whether that is good design, but it does seem to be
> a legitimate use), so for restricted code we return something
> like this:
>
>     class FakeFile:
>         def __eq__(self, other):
>             return other == file
>
>    [...]

Are you aware of the original issue, which is that as soon as you have
a file *instance* (which might have been given to you by a very
restrictive open() variant), you can always get to the file *class*
using the __class__ attribute?  Access to the __class__ attribute is
useful for all sorts of reasons.

> Guido writes:
> > Re the capabilities discussion, this is Python 3.0 material if I ever
> > saw some
>
> I agree. But I can dream, can't I?  <wink>

Yes, even for 3.0 this is still a dream...