[Python-Dev] Py_DECREF causes spurious gcc warning

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Dec 17 19:34:55 EST 2003

    Tim> [Skip Montanaro]
    >> Then you also agree we should bracify the Py_*REF macros, right?
    >> <wink>

    Tim> That can't work, alas -- the macro has no idea whether curly braces
    Tim> are syntactically legal in the context it's invoked in.

I meant the Py_*REF macros which expand to "if" statements and you'd bracify
the clauses, e.g., Py_DECREF would become:

#define Py_DECREF(op)                                   \
        if (_Py_DEC_REFTOTAL  _Py_REF_DEBUG_COMMA       \
            --(op)->ob_refcnt != 0) {                   \
                _Py_CHECK_REFCNT(op)                    \
        } else {                                        \
                _Py_Dealloc((PyObject *)(op))           \
        }

Py_INCREF would be left alone, and the X variants would become

#define Py_XINCREF(op) if ((op) == NULL) {;} else { Py_INCREF(op) }
#define Py_XDECREF(op) if ((op) == NULL) {;} else {Py_DECREF(op) }

Skip