[Python-Dev] Relative import

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Dec 17 20:57:24 EST 2003

Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl>:

> If you have a complex package with, say, three levels you may want to
> scan up through the levels of your own package. However, if your package
> is later incorporated in a third party package I can hardly imagine that
> you want to scan in there too.

The main use I have in mind for scan-upwards is for when you're
importing something that's *not* part of your package. It's probably
top-level, but someone might want to put you and it into a package one
day, so you shouldn't hard-wire a top-level reference to it.

That's why I think scan-upwards should be the default -- because you
never know when someone might want to repackage you into a different
environment in the future.

Referring to related modules in your package is a different matter --
for that, you should probably be using explicitly relative references.