[Python-Dev] Re: Relative import

Paul Moore pf_moore at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 18 09:03:26 EST 2003

Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> writes:

> There are two proposals that I can live with: my original proposal
> with the leading dots counting the number of levels up, or the
> triple-dot proposal with scan-up semantics.  In both cases, the
> default semantics would switch to absolute for Python 3.0.

If that's what you;d like a vote on, I prefer the triple-dot proposal.
As far as semantics go, I have no opinion (I don't have any use for
either option) but I *really* dislike the look of the single dot. I'm
not a great fan of the triple dot, but it's the lesser of the two
evils.

I have to admit to some confusion here, though. At the moment, the
following works:

    pkg\__init__.py:
        print "importing pkg"
        import a
    pkg\a.py:
        print "importing a"
        import b
    pkg\b.py:
        print "importing b"

    >>> import pkg
    importing pkg
    importing a
    importing b

Is the proposal that any of this *stop* working? I assume not.
Otherwise, I'm -1 on the whole thing. I see no reason to break this
usage, and good reason (I can rename pkg - before final release,
obviously - without needing to do a search-and-replace edit on
everything in the package).

I think this whole thing needs a PEP, though. If only to be completely
clear on what is and is not changing, and to record discarded options.

Paul.
--
This signature intentionally left blank