[Python-checkins] Re: [Python-Dev] Re: python/dist/src/Objectsunicodeobject.c, 2.204, 2.205

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Fri Dec 19 07:10:11 EST 2003

Hye-Shik Chang <perky at i18n.org> writes:

> On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 11:03:41AM +0100, Fredrik Lundh wrote:
>> Hye-Shik Chang wrote:
>> > AFAIK, *(unsigned char*)s is always smaller than 256.
>> except when it isn't.  see the ANSI C spec for details.
> Ah. I found. I'm very surprised for that. Thank you! :-)
> BTW, do we really support architectures with 9bits-sized char?

On some kinds of Cray that Python has been built on in the past, I
think the smallest addressable unit of memory is 64 bits.  So, not
quite 96, but getting on that way.  I don't think we want to make the
lives of people porting to such architectures any harder than it
already is...

  Need to Know is usually an interesting UK digest of things that
  happened last week or might happen next week. [...] This week,
  nothing happened, and we don't care.
                           -- NTK Now, 2000-12-29, http://www.ntk.net/