[Python-Dev] Importing packages from command line

Michael Chermside mcherm at mcherm.com
Fri Dec 19 08:11:00 EST 2003

Dmitry Vasiliev writes:
> Just an idea...
>
> 1. python -p package_name
>
>      Equivalent to:
>
>      import package_name

(1) Sourceforge is a great place to request feature enhancements.
    Suggestions made on this mailing list is likely to be forgotten
    sooner or later.

(2) Can you explain WHY you would want this feature? Is there some
    use case? I would prefer NOT to have this, because right now
    if I'm reading code and it uses "package_name.someFunction()"
    I can scan upward for "package_name" to find out what it's
    using. With command line imports, I couldn't do that. So unless
    you've got a good reason for it, I personally wouldn't want
    this feature.

-- Michael Chermside