[Python-Dev] Python threads end up blocking signals in subprocesses

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Dec 20 05:15:21 EST 2003

Jeff Epler <jepler at unpythonic.net> writes:

> > Can you find out what $$ is, and what the PIDs and thread IDs of all
> > participating threads are?
>
> I'm not sure what all information I should try to gather for you.  Let me
> know if you think this is enough to file a bug report with...  I changed
> the example to make it clearer that it's the subprocess ignoring the
> signal that is the problem, not anything in Python that is taking time
> to notice the death of a child process.

That is an important observation; signals that are blocked in the
parent process will be blocked in the child process as well.

I'm not sure what to do about this: We apparently *want* the signals
blocked in the thread, but we don't want them to be blocked in the
process invoked through system(). Proposals are welcome.

Regards,
Martin