[Python-Dev] OpenBSD anyone?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Dec 22 11:29:31 EST 2003

John Draper <crunch at shopip.com> (the famous Capt'n Crunch) reports
that on his OpenBSD box, he can't build a debug version of Python
2.3(.3c1, but I doubt that matters) unless he tweaks the configure
file to add -O3 to the C flags.  That sounds fishy to me, but he
insists that's how it is, and he's reproduced it from a clean tarball.
Debugging it further doesn't really seem to be within John's power;
the -O3 trick was found by his partner Steve who's temporarily
unavailable.

The symptom is that without -O3, a "python" binary gets built but its
use to run setup.py segfaults.  Is there anyone here with access to an
OpenBSD box who could try to reproduce this?