[Python-Dev] Re: python/dist/src/Objectsunicodeobject.c, 2.204, 2.205

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Dec 22 11:50:24 EST 2003

    >> Sounds like a plan.  I modify my local source and see if it affects
    >> anything.

    Tim> It should work fine.

Done.  UCHAR_MAX is now required in Python.h, and it's required to be 255.
That may open up a couple (small) optimization opportunities (places where
gcc 3.3 says explicit tests against char values will always be true or
false).  I'll leave it for others to make those tweaks if they so desire.
Note that some of those gcc messages are probably related to larger types
(e.g. unsigned short) or depend on the presence or absence of other macro
definitions (e.g. Py_UNICODE_WIDE).  Should you wish to code any of these
speedups, make sure you get the cpp tests right.  Guido won't forgive you if
you don't. <wink>

Skip