[Python-Dev] Py_DECREF causes spurious gcc warning

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Mon Dec 22 14:48:29 EST 2003

"Tim Peters" <tim.one at comcast.net> writes:

['>>' is Zack]

>> I am not disputing that MSVC does this silly thing you describe, but
>> MSVC has a long track record of bugs
>
> That doesn't match our experience.  I don't believe Python code has ever
> tickled an MSVC codegen or optimization bug, neither any in gcc-for-x86.

Some version of gcc for OpenBSD (on intel) miscompiles
(w/optimization) the usual definition of Py_IS_OVERFLOW (or whatever
that macro's called).  Just nitpicking :-)

>> GCC does not generate junk code even at -O0.

I'm not sure I understand the context of this remark, but out of
context it sure sounds implausible.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore,
  be regarded as a criminal offence.