[Python-Dev] Re: Got None. Maybe Some?

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Mon Dec 22 14:59:00 EST 2003

> "Josiah Carlson" <jcarlson at uci.edu> wrote in
> message
> news:20031222000819.10EC.JCARLSON at uci.edu...
> > Is None so weird?  All I am proposing is a
> symmetric value to None.
>
> To me that would be All of AllType.  Some is in
> between.  Can you think of any uses for All other
> than being max element?
>
> TJR

Not really.  However, I was thinking of Some in the context of graph
and dynamic programming algorithms.  When programming some algorithms in
Python, you need to either pick some large constant (that you hope will
be big enough), or have a test to see if a value is None. That is ugly
and very not Pythonic.

I do like All and AllType though, which gives a better name, as
suggested by Guido.

 - Josiah