[Python-Dev] Switching to VC.NET 2003

logistix logistix at cathoderaymission.net
Mon Dec 29 12:14:53 EST 2003

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, Alex Martelli wrote:

> On Monday 29 December 2003 05:06 pm, Martin v. Loewis wrote:
> > It might be possible to write a generator that produces a makefile
> > automatically from the VC.NET project files; contributions
>
> At the time of Visual Studio 6, such a "generator" had been written
> by Microsoft, and was part of the VS6 package -- i.e., you could produce
> and save a makefile for the project you had loaded.  Is this no more the case
> for the current release of Visual Studio...?
>

> Alex

Yes, they removed that functionality (or at least I wasn't able to find
it).  I used Visual Studio 6.0 to generate a good makefile in my tests.
In VC 7.1, you can feed the project file into the compiler via a command
line flag.  I think you needed to use the GUI to build in 6.0, so MS
provided the makefile export feature for people who wanted to do automated
builds and other stuff where you couldn't rely on the gui.  So the feature
became obsolete from MS's perspective.

Unfortunately, I don't think the command-line compilers in the SDK will
accept a Visual Studio project file.