[Python-Dev] Re: Switching to VC.NET 2003

Paul Moore pf_moore at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 30 06:49:36 EST 2003

"Martin v. Loewis" <martin at v.loewis.de> writes:

> OTOH, I cannot see what the problem might be - except that you will
> have to link with msvcr71.dll at the end, not with msvcrt40.dll.

There's an issue with mingw using malloc/free from msvcrt in its
startup code - by the time msvcr71 gets linked in, the startup code
has already resolved these two to msvcrt. I believe this is (nearly)
resolved. Also, I've never seen a real problem caused by this, just
dire hearsay about problems using incompatible runtimes...

>> If this hasn't been resolved, and somebody can send me a binary for
>> a .NET-built Python, I'll be happy to test.
>
> Sure: Please try my installer at
>
> http://www.dcl.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/home/loewis/python2.4.0.msi

Does this install cleanly alongside a "production" Python 2.3? Ie,
will it leave the meaning of the "python" command, and command line
associations for .py files, etc, unchanged?

As a test install, I'd like it to have no effect on my main Python (I
have no test machine to install on separately).

> Notice that this doesn't include msvcr71.dll, which I could provide
> in private.

Not a problem for me - I have this.

> It also does not include msvcr71.lib - I have no clue how you would
> get a copy of that. But then, somehow, msvcrt40.lib (or is it
> msvcrt40.a) must have gotten into mingw32 also.

The appropriate library is indeed supplied with mingw.

Paul.
--
This signature intentionally left blank