[Python-Dev] feedback on Enum class

Keith Dart kdart at kdart.com
Tue Dec 30 13:01:42 EST 2003

Greetings everyone. I hope you all had a great Christmas holiday. 8-)

I am posting this Enum (named number) class to this list for possible
feedback. It can be used as a regular integer but when printed
(stringified) it yeilds its name. The hash also makes named numbers with
the same integer value into unique dictionary keys. That is the part I
am not sure about... Comments appreciated.

class Enum(int):
	__slots__ = ("_name")
	def __new__(cls, val, name):
		v = int.__new__(cls, val)
		v._name = str(name)
		return v
	def __str__(self):
		return self._name
	def __repr__(self):
		return "%s(%d, %r)" % (self.__class__.__name__, self,self._name)
	def __hash__(self):
		return int.__hash__(self) + hash(self._name)

--
Keith Dart