[Python-Dev] base64.py support for RFC 3548

Barry A. Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Dec 31 11:36:20 EST 2003

Hi all,

I found I needed more complete RFC 3548 support for a project I'm
working on.  This RFC contains the most up-to-date specification of
Base64, Base32, and Base16, including a description of alternative
alphabets, etc.

I didn't want to create any new modules, so I modified the base64.py
module to include a bunch of new functions, leaving the old API
unchanged (i.e. encode(), decode(), encodestring(), decodestring()).

I have new functions with docstrings, and an updated unit test.  If
you folks like the API I've chosen and are generally in favor of my
changes, I'll update the documentation as well.

The patch is available here:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=868496&group_id=5470&atid=305470

Currently assigned to Tim for review.

-Barry