[Python-Dev] disable writing .py[co]

Christopher Blunck blunck@gst.com
Sat, 1 Feb 2003 14:09:25 -0500

Personally I would like to see py have the ability to *not* generate .pyc files.
99% of the time generation of .pyc doesn't make much difference to me, but there
are times where you simply cannot generate them.  For example . . .

TiVo consists of 4 partitions:
  - primary root    (ro)
  - primary /var    (rw)
  - secondary root  (ro)
  - secondary /var  (rw)

The idea is that with / mounted ro, the box can never fargle itself to the
point where a user issued fsck is required.  This is pretty sweet for devices
where the consumer has no idea that an actual Linux OS (or *any* OS for that
matter) is installed.

I made an unsuccessful attempt to load python onto my TiVo, but when I realized
the ro nature of the / filesystem it forced me to reconsider my entire effort.

Likewise, another project of mine is on a rackmount device, and we've briefly
talked about making / ro in order to achieve the same safety: we don't want
the discuss fargled so badly that a customer calls us up and we step them
through a fsck.  Likewise, we *use* py on our box.  Thus, forcing the
interpretter to *not* generate .pyc would be a benefit to us, as it would
allow us to improve the stability of our platform.

Just my 2 cents.
-c

--
  2:00pm  up 103 days,  5:35,  1 user,  load average: 5.73, 5.52, 5.26