[Python-Dev] Re: native code compiler? (or, OCaml vs. Python)

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
Tue, 04 Feb 2003 11:04:51 +0000

Neil Schemenauer <nas@python.ca> writes:

> Guido van Rossum wrote:
>> I'm in.  Given how low you set your stakes, I don't think you're very
>> confident, so I'd like to call your bluff. :-)
>
> Any opinion on where to spend effort?

There's this field called tp_cache in type objects that's not
currently used...

Also Oren's ideas about a lookdict_namespace sounded interesting
(always interning keys, inserting failure markers, bouncing succeeding
lookups into the first slot examined, IIRC).

Finally, anyone planning on a new VM would be well advised to finish
off the ast-branch work, I'd suggest.

Cheers,
M.

--
  Darned confusing, unless you have that magic ingredient coffee, of
  which I can pay you Tuesday for a couple pounds of extra-special