trying times [Python-Dev] thunks

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Wed, 05 Feb 2003 10:10:34 -0500

>>> these are trying times:
>>>
>>> http://online.effbot.org/2003_02_01_archive.htm#python-dev

>> Trying is fine, but Fredrik has a point there.

> Followup:
>
>   http://online.effbot.org/2003_02_01_archive.htm#irony
>
> """
> # irony: python-dev is discussing decimal arithmetics in a thread
> titled "why did fredrik leave the party". to the extent yesterday's
> post had a point, I think this proves it ;-)
> """

It's often hard to guess what /F's points are.  In this case, it's about
getting a library into 2.3, where the idea to get it into 2.3 was approved
no later than last September:

From: Tim Peters <tim.one@comcast.net>
Date: Thu Sep 19 14:20:22 2002
To: python-list@python.org
Subject: RE: monetary applications [was: Python GUI app to impress the bos
s?]

About
    http://starship.python.net/crew/aahz/FixedPoint.py

If someone is willing and able to do the work (sorry, I can't make time for
it), Guido will accept this into the standard library for 2.3.  It's a
small, self-contained, pure Python module; it's been in use for a few years
with no bugs reported; and is unencumbered by any license (a lawyer has told
me that an individual in the USA cannot meaningfully disclaim copyright, so
fine, the copyright I didn't want is hereby transferred to the PSF <wink>).

What work remains:

+ Write docs for the Library Reference manual.  I expect the existing
  module docstring will be a good start.

+ Create a test driver for Python's regression suite.

+ Have fun modernizing it, if you like (for example, "/" should be
  changed to "//" where integer division is intended; playing with
   __slots__ may yield some nice savings; whatever).

This should be a fun and comparatively easy task -- if you ever wanted to
get your name into the ACKS file, here's one way to do it without tithing
you income directly to Guido <wink>.

although-tithing-saves-me-time-ly y'rs  - tim