[Python-Dev] Re: Passing floats to "i" parser marker

Pete Shinners pete@shinners.org
Wed, 05 Feb 2003 14:37:39 -0800

Just van Rossum wrote:
> which I'm mostly to blame) in which there are lots of calls to Mac
> toolbox functions that take geometric values (coordinates, rectangles)
> where the units are pixels. There are plenty of cases where the
> intermediates for these values have to be floats and it's simply darned
> convenient they are chopped to ints. I'm not saying this is good in

coincidentally, this is nearly the same reason i am using the automatic
truncation. converting arbitrary object positions into 'pixel'
positions. it is convenient to not worry about your coordinate types,
just passing them in and getting 'the right thing'.

assuming the current behavior is 'the right thing', which is the issue
in question. i am not opposed to the stricter handling of integer
arguments, but cannot see any similar alternatives to what we have now.