[Python-Dev] Fixed-point numeric type

Kevin Jacobs jacobs@penguin.theopalgroup.com
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 20:29:42 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Tim Peters wrote:
> > Nevertheless, I would like to seeing proper fixed point support in the
> > Python standard library
>
> What does "proper" mean?  The implementation of FixedPoint was easy for me,
> but getting users to spell out what they really needed proved impossible.
> "Proper" isn't a specification all by itself <wink>.
>
> > with integration advise in a DB-API extension standard or PEP.  As it
> > is, our applications patch many of the DB-API modules to add support
> > for our own homebrew decimal types, and it is fairly cumbersome to
> > maintain.
>
> Is FixedPoint usable for you?  This person seemed to think it helped:

I'm in the process of evaluating it as a replacement for our homebrew
decimal package.  Once I have a reasonable compatiblity interface, I'll run
it through our test suite and let you know.

-Kevin

Kevin Jacobs
The OPAL Group - Enterprise Systems Architect
Voice: (216) 986-0710 x 19         E-mail: jacobs@theopalgroup.com
Fax:   (216) 986-0714              WWW:    http://www.theopalgroup.com