[Python-Dev] Re: Trinary Operators

Aahz aahz@pythoncraft.com
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 16:05:47 -0500

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>Aahz:
>>
>> Are they really equivalent?  What about
>>
>>     print h() if f() and g()
>>
>> versus
>>
>>     if f() and g():
>>         print h()
>>
>> Does g() get called if f() is false?  What about h()?
>
> Do you know the ternary operator in C?

Thanks to my handy K&R2, now I do.  ;-)  But I'm always suspicious when
the proposed syntax doesn't have a simple L->R or R->L semantic, which is
the main thing I don't like about listcomps.  So I figured I'd make sure.

After all, explicit is better than implicit, and that goes triple when
human languages are used.
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours."  --Richard Bach