Atomic operations (was Re: [Python-Dev] Why did Fredrik leave the party?)

Brett Cannon bac@OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 12:08:46 -0800 (PST)

[Barry A. Warsaw]

> Brett (I think) suggested that there may be alternatives to a
> syntactic approach, e.g. one that prohibits thread switching between
> the resource acquisition and the entering of the try.  That might be
> interesting to explore, but I worry about deadlock possibilities.

Yes, I suggested this, but at an improper time.  I had forgotten Guido had
asked that new ideas that tied into the syntax proposals not be brought up
until summaries of the old ideas were done.  My bad.  =)

Anyway, so I am going to read the paper that Jeremy posted the link to,
but I am going to ask that we save discussing this until we get those
summaries (or discuss it off-list if anyone cares to).  Maybe this will
motivate me to come up with some half-assed summary just to have one done
and force people to clean them up if they care about the proposal.  =)

-Brett