[Python-Dev] Deprecating modules after 2.3a1?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 00:09:46 +0100

Is it okay to deprecate modules at this point in time, i.e. now that
2.3a1 is out with the module not yet deprecated?

I want to get rid of the old macfs (mac file system) module, which is a
collection of very useful (and widely used) filesystem functionality,
but which grew over the years and lacks design. The new Carbon.File and
Carbon.Folder modules completely export the underlying Apple APIs, and
under the Apple names, so they're also easier to use in the long run
(because you can read the Apple documentation).

If we could deprecate macfs for 2.3 we could completely get rid of it
for 2.4 (which will in all likeliness be MacOSX-only, and the only
parts of the core that depend on macfs are MacOS9-only).
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -