[Python-Dev] Re: How to lose potential users/developers

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 17:05:21 +0100

On Friday, Feb 7, 2003, at 13:36 Europe/Amsterdam, Guido van Rossum
wrote:

>> So, crazy idea for the morning.  Split that sentence up: have one
>> list (probably the existing python-dev) where the future of the
>> language is discussed.  Have another (python-implementors) where
>> anything that does not have a short-to-medium term effect on the
>> code in Python CVS is strictly forbidden.  Can this be made to work?
>> Or maybe the last month or so has been the exception and this list
>> will just naturally reqcquire some of it's focus.
>
> *If* we were to split this up, I'd rather create a new list for wild
> and crazy ideas.  But I'm -0 on splitting -- it wouldn't help *me*
> because I'd want to be on both lists anyway, and I'm not sure how many
> others are helped by it either -- I imagine that most people would
> want to be on both lists.

I'm +1 on the two lists, even though I would be on both lists too.
However,
if the load on python-implementors went down I would actually be able
to always read
that first thing in the morning (afternoon/evening/night:-), so I
wouldn't miss any
important messages on 2.3aX distribution building started, or
sourceforge downtime,
or known problems in the test suite, while I would read python-dev
later.
Goldman