[Python-Dev] Re: Trinary Operators

Aahz aahz@pythoncraft.com
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 11:52:26 -0500

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> OK, I'll write a PEP (I doubt waiting for Eric is gonna pay off).
>
> But as skeptical as I am (see what I added to FAQ 4.16), I'll take it
> for a vote on c.l.py and if it doesn't get a clear majority vote (and
> it'll be up to the c.l.py folks to define what that is :-), it'll
> remain rejected forever.

Um.  That's a tough bar, particularly given that some people are in
favor of a ternary operator, but only if it has a "reasonable" syntax.
I'm going to want separate votes for "should there be a ternary
operator?" and "what syntax should it have?"  If there's a clear
majority for the first part, but not the second part, I'd like instead
of being rejected forever, to be put on hold for a minimum of a year.

That reasonable?
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

Register for PyCon now!  http://www.python.org/pycon/reg.html