[Python-Dev] Re: How to lose potential users/developers

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Fri, 07 Feb 2003 21:41:04 -0500

[Andrew MacIntyre]
> Is it unreasonable to expect straight forward redirections (ie "please
> take this to python-list/c.l.py") be done via private mail alone rather
> than including python-dev as a cc?

[Aahz]
> It's not unreasonable, but I do it so that other python-dev people know
> that it's been done, which avoids wasting time and the dogpile effect.

There's another reason it won't happen:  I know python-dev@python.org is a
legit email address.  Half the time I use an address from a random netizen,
it bounces (usually due to "anti spam" gimmickery in the address), and the
whole exercise becomes a double waste of time.  There's a fine line between
not being helpful and being rude all the same <wink>.