[Python-Dev] vox populii illiterati

Ka-Ping Yee ping@zesty.ca
Sun, 9 Feb 2003 20:06:29 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 9 Feb 2003, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> If anything, this suggests that the infix-if form is not ideal,
> because it hides the if-part too much.

I'm +0.5 if we can agree on a syntax where evaluation is left-to-right
(condition, true case, false case).  I haven't decided on a nice one yet.

I'm -1 on any syntax that's out of order.  I think that would be
terribly confusing, and i don't think there's any example of a
successful out-of-order ?: syntax in another language, is there?

It's not just that it's out of order -- it's that something gets
short-circuited out of order.  The whole idea of the very *first*
thing you see getting short-circuited is unacceptably weird and
unexpected for me.

-- ?!ng