[Python-Dev] Change definition of Py_END_ALLOW_THREADS?

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 11:11:03 +0000

"Gerald S. Williams" <gsw@agere.com> writes:

>> I guess:
>> Py_AUTO_THREAD_STATE_DECLARE
>> Py_AUTO_THREAD_STATE_ENSURE
>> Py_AUTO_THREAD_STATE_RELEASE
>>
>> would work.
>
> If you need the declaration, I'd vote for making it
> explicit. I only suggested the macro for consistency
> with what's been done before.

What about no-thread builds?  Or are these macros not for use in the
core?

[Tim]
> Pragmatic company likes it: the braces make it very likely you'll
> get cascades of baffling compile-time errors if you don't use the
> BEGIN/END macros in matched pairs.  That's better than cascades of
> baffling runtime errors.

At one point I had a patch up on sf that went

if (something) Py_BEGIN_ALLOW_THREADS
ioctl(stuff);
if (something) Py_END_ALLOW_THREADS

It compiled, at least.

gotta-love-the-C-preprocessor-ly y'rs
M.

--
  First time I've gotten a programming job that required a drug
  test.  I was worried they were going to say "you don't have