[Python-Dev] Changes to logging

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Sat, 15 Feb 2003 10:52:31 -0500

> I've got a set of patches which I want to make to logging:

Please upload to SF ASAP -- I'd like to do another alpha next Tuesday.

Please send forward context or unified diffs relative to current
CVS!

> 1. Added the record being processed as a parameter to handleError.

OK.

> 2. Handler.handle returns the result of applying the filter to the record.

OK.

> 3. Added a seek(0, 2) in RotatingFileHandler before the tell() call. This
> is because under Windows, tell() returns 0 until the first actual write.

OK.

> 4. Renamed warn and WARN to warning and WARNING. This may
> break existing code, but the standard Python module will use
> warning/WARNING rather than warn/WARN.

OK, but please leave warn/WARN in as synonyms.

> The fatal and FATAL synonyms for critical and CRITICAL have also
> been removed.

NOT OK.  Please leave them in as synonyms.

> 5. Added a defaultEncoding attribute and some simple support for encoding
> Unicode messages.

See Marc-Andre's reply.

> 6. Added process ID to the list of LogRecord attributes.

OK.

> 7. Modified Logger.removeHandler so that it does not close the handler on
> removal.

OK.

> As far as point 4 is concerned, I feel that the last discussion on
> python-dev was inconclusive. The consensus seemed to say WARNING and
> CRITICAL were OK, but then there was some doubt about WARNING due to the
> number of changes Zope would need. Though Zope is an important application,
> I'm not sure Zope changes should be the yardstick for this sort of change;
> From looking for instances of WARN and warn in the .py files from a recent
> read-only checkout of Zope, I couldn't see all that many places where
> changes would be needed. Have I missed something?

Did you check Zope 3 too?  It's got more of these I think.  But if you
submit patches for Python, I can take care of Zope 3.