[Python-Dev] Traceback problem

Christian Tismer tismer@tismer.com
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 04:48:07 +0100

Kevin Jacobs wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Christian Tismer wrote:
>
>>>You and Kevin Jacobs can argue about the syntax.
>>
>>Proposals, in decreasing orders of delight:
>>
>>1) Implement exeptions according to the documentation.
>>    Cleaning exceptions after they are handled is what
>>    most users would expect, last but not least since
>>    the documentation suggests it.

> This is not a practical option -- while I don't think the current behavior
> is ideal, we have a great deal of code that relies on this behavior.  I'm
> sure that many other Python developers are in the same boat.  If this is to
> change, we need to do a lot more work to justify it, and to give at least
> full one version of notice before enforcing it.

Why this? sys.exc_info() is well documented since
a couple of versions. I was even so dumb to code
according to it that I wasn't even aware of the
problem. (But I should have known better having
read all the code).

>>3) Add an extra reset_exp function to sys.
>>    More lame since it requires an extra function,
>>    just to patch a "feature".
>

> This one gets my vote (if this were a democracy).  "Explicit is better than
> implicit".  The new symbol in the sys namespace also makes it easy to test
> for the capability (without a version number check).  Maybe it should be
> called 'clear_exc' or 'reset_exc_info' (to match the C API name).

I don't care, but to get that crappy problem off my desk.

>>4) Keep things as they are, and expect the Spanish Inquision.
>

> I'm even okay with the status quo and can continue to use my current hack to
> clear exception data.

I have received lots of complaints about "bad Stackless behavior",
and I would be happy if I were causing the problem, in the first
place. The problem exists since centuries, but is exploited
by the fact that people can have so many threads now.
I hate to get prosecuted for the consequences of other
people's decisions, in a way...
... but I'm far from being a language designer, for heaven's sake :-))

unseriously yours - chgris

--
Christian Tismer             :^)   <mailto:tismer@tismer.com>