[Python-Dev] Traceback problem

Kevin Jacobs jacobs@penguin.theopalgroup.com
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 19:42:21 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Christian Tismer wrote:
> >>p.s.: I would probably have done the exception saving
> >>in the caller's frame, where it belongs, IMHO.
> >
> > I'm going to see if this is feasible.  The current method is almost
> > certainly more efficient, but seems very backwards.
>
> No, I didn't refer to your code, but just to the
> implementation of (re)set_exc_info.

Actually, we're on the same page.

> I would have understood this much easier, if the saved exception were
> saved in the caller's frame. I'm not proposing a change, but maybe a
> comment, why this must be saved. Yes, probably it is most efficient to do
> it as it is. (Although functions called in an exception context are
> probably not the normal case which needs to be optimal).

Exactly.  This is why I'm fairly certain that nobody looks at the
frame.f_exc_* values, since they make no sense in the context of that frame.
It should be trivial to dereference the traceback to find the generating
frame and stow the values there.

-Kevin

Kevin Jacobs
The OPAL Group - Enterprise Systems Architect
Voice: (216) 986-0710 x 19         E-mail: jacobs@theopalgroup.com
Fax:   (216) 986-0714              WWW:    http://www.theopalgroup.com