[Python-Dev] Re: module extension search order - can it be changed?

Greg Ewing greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 12:33:33 +1300 (NZDT)

Chermside, Michael:

> Guido:
> > I thought for sure Greg had left off the smiley.
>
> Oh. Yes. Of course.

Actually, I was at least partially serious. It seems more important to
me for the traceback to indicate what operation was being attempted,
rather than showing the literal source code; and the bytecode,
together with other information available from the stack frames, ought
to provide enough information to do this.

I hadn't considered optimised bytecode -- I can see that could mess
things up.

In any case, I think there's room for providing more information in
the traceback than there is now, even without decompiling
anything. For example, I'd like to see some indication of the values
(or at least the types) being passed to each function call. In many
cases, that would save me a trip around the insert_print_statements-
run-fix_the_bug-take_the_print_ statements_out_again loop.