[Python-Dev] PEP 303: Extend divmod() for Multiple Divisors

Christian Tismer tismer@tismer.com
Wed, 01 Jan 2003 21:16:38 +0100

Raymond Hettinger wrote:
> [Tim]
>
>>    TP> If we have to drop a builtin, I never liked reduce <wink>,
>>    TP> although Jeremy pointed out that its most common use case no
>>    TP> longer requires writing a lambda, or importing operator.add:
>

> [Barry]
>
>>Hey, if we'll killing off builtins, I vote for apply().
>

> buffer() and intern() are two candidates for least understood,
> least used, and most likely not to be missed.

Hey, this is the positive response I was hoping for.
You got the point. We do have functions which might
perhaps not be dropped, but removed from C code.

There is also a side effect for apply(), for instance:
Controversely to divmod, apply is still found in 166
.py files of the 2.2 source dist. This is still more
than 10 %, although apply() can be completely replaced
by the new calling patterns.

I believe that in the code base of the average user,
this will look even worse, since nobody cares about
changing working code.

If we now quasi-deprecate apply by making it *slower*,
simply by replacing the C code by a Python function
that itself uses the new calling style, then we have
less C code, still compatibility, *and* a good argument
for everybody to replace apply by the new way to go.

ciao - chris

--
Christian Tismer             :^)   <mailto:tismer@tismer.com>