[Python-Dev] PEP 303: Extend divmod() for Multiple Divisors

Christian Tismer tismer@tismer.com
Thu, 02 Jan 2003 01:23:50 +0100

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Raymond Hettinger wrote:
>
>> [Tim]
>>
>>>    TP> If we have to drop a builtin, I never liked reduce <wink>,
>>>    TP> although Jeremy pointed out that its most common use case no
>>>    TP> longer requires writing a lambda, or importing operator.add:
>>

>> [Barry]
>>
>>> Hey, if we'll killing off builtins, I vote for apply().
>>

>> buffer() and intern() are two candidates for least understood,
>> least used, and most likely not to be missed.
>

> Hey, this is (or was) January 1st, not April 1st.

Right. On April 1st, the code size of Python will
be fixed to a certain amount, and every additional
C code must come with an equivalent amount of code
to be dropped. Until then, starting with January 1st,
you can get bonus code by proposing code obsoletion
in advance.
Later code reductions will be laid out in a PEP.
The Python C code should be shrunk to 50% by end
of 2004. The goal is to get it down to the pure
bootstrap code of a JIT until 2007. This should
be doable within at most 8 KB of binary code.

--
Christian Tismer             :^)   <mailto:tismer@tismer.com>