[Python-Dev] new features for 2.3?

Brett Cannon bac@OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 12:31:52 -0800 (PST)

[Guido van Rossum]

> First of all, reST is going to be used a lot in Zope3.  Maybe it could
> become a standard library module?

+1

But I am biased.  =)  And  if this is done, I would like to make the
request that the ``tools`` directory still be available somewhere (not
necessarily in the distro; perhaps the SF page as a separate download?).
``tools/html.py`` is a puny wrapper, but extremely useful.

> Next, I really, really, really would like to improve pickling of
> new-style classes.

+0 for getting done by 2.3, +1 period.

<snip>
>And we
> need to implement these twice: in Python for pickle.py and in C for
> cPickle.py.

I have always wondered, why does both ``cPickle`` (which uses camel-style
naming which I thought was a no-no)  and ``Pickle``?  They do exactly the
same thing (in theory).

This question is spontaneous, and so if it is obviously from looking at
the code, just tell me to RTFM.  =)

> I'd also like to get rid of __safe_for_unpickling__ and all other
> pseudo security features.  Attempting to unpickle pickles from an
> untrusted source is insane, and nothing can help us there; I'd rather
> make the marshal protocol bulletproof (all it needs is a few more
> checks for inconsistent data and a little better error handling).

Is there any other place where security has been built into something?
Sounds like we should do a security inaudit  (is that a word?) and rip out
pretty much all security code.

-Brett