[Python-Dev] Unidiff tool

Paul Moore lists@morpheus.demon.co.uk
Mon, 06 Jan 2003 17:56:29 +0000

Tim Peters <tim.one@comcast.net> writes:

> [Brett Cannon]
>> Has it ever been considered to make ``difflib`` output diffs that
>> could be passed to ``patch``?  That way there would be one less
>> barrier for people to get over when wanting to help in development.
>
> If they have CVS, they can make patches properly with cvs diff, and
> any developer wannabe who doesn't have CVS is missing a more basic
> part of the story than how to make patches <wink>.

Actually, over my dial-up link, I've never got cvs diff to work. It
sits there for *ages* (30-50 mins) talking to the server, but never
does much of any use. Same problem with "cvs update". I've taken to
just doing cvs checkouts, or getting the full CVS repository tarball
from SF (at work, over a fast connection, which has a firewall which
won't allow CVS use :-( ) and then making patches by hand.

Not that this has any relevance to difflib...

Paul.
--
This signature intentionally left blank