[Python-Dev] What attempts at security should/can Python implement?

Neil Schemenauer nas@python.ca
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 22:24:05 -0800

Skip Montanaro wrote:
> Now that Guido has rendered impotent any attempts Python did make at
> security, does it make sense to try and figure out what (if anything) can be
> done by the C runtime?

Personally, I think it would be best to direct effort at fixing bugs.
All kinds of bugs, not just things like buffer and integer overflows (hi
Tim :-).  It often happens that a seemingly innocent bug turns into a
security problem.

As I believe Guido said earlier, building a security model into the
language is really hard.  We don't have the resources to do it right.
I'm not sure Sun does either. :-)

  Neil