[Python-Dev] Re: Whither rexec?

A.M. Kuchling amk@amk.ca
Wed, 08 Jan 2003 08:52:59 -0500

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> See my recent checkins and what I just sent to python-announce (not
> sure when the moderator will get to it):

Back in December I reduced the "Restricted Execution" HOWTO
to a warning not to use rexec.  This morning, perhaps because of Guido's
announcement, I've gotten two e-mails from users of the module asking
for more details, both sounding a bit desperate for alternatives.
Doubtless more rexec users will come out of the woodwork as a result.

I'd like to add some suggested alternatives; any suggestions?  People
could run untrusted code inside a chroot()'ed jail; are there any
packages that help with this?

If the application uses Bastion to let untrusted code access various
Python objects, things get really tough; the only option might be to
redesign the whole application to expose some socket-based interface to
those objects, and then run jailed code that can talk to only that
socket.  (Completely redesigning applications that rely on running
untrusted code is probably a good idea in any event.)

--amk