[Python-Dev] Extension modules, Threading, and the GIL

Mark Hammond markh@skippinet.com.au
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 01:34:30 +1100

[Martin]
> I feel this is still underspecified. I have successfully used
> multiple threads, and callbacks from arbitrary threads. For
> this to work, I have to allow threads in all calls to the
> library if the library can call back before returning.

It can be done, yes.  I am not looking for a change in semantics, just a
simple way to do it (and maybe even a fast way to do it, but that is
secondary).  If such a way already exists, please enlighten us.  If not, but
it is sufficiently simple to describe, then please describe it.  Otherwise,
I do not understand your point.

Mark.