[Python-Dev] PEP 290 revisited

Kevin Altis altis@semi-retired.com
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 21:48:05 -0800

I'm in the process of cleaning up string module references in wxPython.

I decided to take a look at the 2.3a1 release and it appears that Python and
the standard libs need a similar cleanup. Of course, there are other
cleanups to make per PEP 290 and PEP 8. I searched for threads on this topic
after the initial discussions in June 2002 that led to PEP 290, but didn't
find anything regarding cleaning up Python itself.

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2002-June/024950.html

This seems like the kind of work that even a puddenhead like me could do,
not wasting the valuable time of the real developers. :) So, the question is
whether patches for cleaning up string module references... would be welcome
and if so, now, or not until after 2.3 final is released? Obviously, there
is the possibility of typos or some other editing mistake, though of course
all files would be checked for syntax errors with tabnanny and the patch can
be easily scanned to see that the replacement lines are equivalent. I would
be working from an anon-cvs checkout, so I just need to know which branch...
I should checkout.

My strategy with wxPython cleanup has been to deal with a directory of files
per submitted patch file. For large dirs this can be split further into 5 -
10 files at a time so reading over the patches before a commit is pretty
easy. I'm also dealing with just one cleanup issue at a time to reduce the
possibility of editing errors.

ka