[Python-Dev] Re: Whither rexec?

Ben Laurie ben@algroup.co.uk
Thu, 09 Jan 2003 11:12:51 +0000

A.M. Kuchling wrote:
> Guido van Rossum wrote:
>
>> See my recent checkins and what I just sent to python-announce (not
>> sure when the moderator will get to it):
>

> Back in December I reduced the "Restricted Execution" HOWTO
> to a warning not to use rexec.  This morning, perhaps because of Guido's
> announcement, I've gotten two e-mails from users of the module asking
> for more details, both sounding a bit desperate for alternatives.
> Doubtless more rexec users will come out of the woodwork as a result.
>
> I'd like to add some suggested alternatives; any suggestions?

Although working code does not yet exist[1], I have a suggestion:
capabilities. I'd say more, but I just got off a plane and would
probably not be coherent, but I promise I _will_ say more after sleeping.

Cheers,

Ben.

[1] I should say that I actually do have somewhat working code, but have
recently completely changed my mind about how these should work, so its
in a state of flux.