[Python-Dev] Re: Extension modules, Threading, and the GIL

David Abrahams dave@boost-consulting.com
Thu, 09 Jan 2003 14:47:47 -0500

"Mark Hammond" <mhammond@skippinet.com.au> writes:

>> Mark Hammond wrote:
>> > Yes, good catch.  A PyInterpreterState must be known, and
>> > as you stated previously, it is trivial to get one of these
>> > and stash it away globally.
>> > The PyThreadState is the problem child.
>>
>> Then of course you know more than Tim would grant you: you do have an
>> interpreter state, and hence you can infer that Python has been
>> initialized. So I infer that your requirements are different
>> from Tim's.
>
> Sheesh - lucky this is mildly entertaining <wink>.  You are free to
> infer what you like, but I believe it is clear and would prefer to
> see a single other person with a problem rather than continue
> pointless semantic games.

In this instance, it looks to me like Martin makes a good point.  If
I'm missing something, I'd appreciate an explanation.

Thanks,
--
                       David Abrahams
   dave@boost-consulting.com * http://www.boost-consulting.com