[Python-Dev] Parallel pyc construction

Neal Norwitz neal@metaslash.com
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 13:11:47 -0500

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 09:43:19AM -0800, Paul F Dubois wrote:
> On a 384 processor job we have once again encountered that old question of
> corrupted .pyc files, sometimes resulting in an error, sometimes in a silent
> wrong behavior later. I know this was allegedly fixed previously but it
> looks like it doesn't really work. We lost a couple of weeks work this time.
>
> Didn't we talk about an option to not make pyc files? I can't seem to find
> it. (We totally don't care about the cost of imports. The documentation
> mentions "ihooks" but not the module itself. I know that importing has been
> an area of create turmoil so I don't really know where to look.) I couldn't
> even find the list of command-line options for Python itself except a
> mention of -c in the tutorial. Any pointers would be appreciated.

A while ago I fixed a problem when there were more than 64k items used
to create a list.  The fix went into 2.2.2 I believe.  For 2.3 some
sizes were increased from 2 to 4 bytes so the problem shouldn't occur.
Here's the bug:  http://python.org/sf/561858

There is a bug (aka feature request) assigned to me:
http://python.org/sf/602345  option for not writing .py[co] files
I haven't done anything with it yet.  Feel free to submit a patch.

What version of python had this problem?  Can you make a test case?

Neal