[Python-Dev] Extension modules, Threading, and the GIL

Just van Rossum just@letterror.com
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 21:26:45 +0100

Thomas Heller wrote:

> I hope one could extend the FrozenModule table in an already running
> Python by adding more stuff to it. Isn't there already code in cvs
> which allows this?

There was code from me that would let you do that from Python, but I
ripped it out as PEP 302 makes it unnecessary. However, it's possible
from C (and always has been, it's the trick that Anthony Tuininga used
in his freeze-like tool). Normally, PyImport_FrozenModules points to a
static array, but there's nothing against setting it to a heap array.
The fact that it's not a Python object and that the array elements
aren't Python objects makes it a little messy, though (another reason
why I backed out the Python interface to it).

Just