[Python-Dev] Re: Extension modules, Threading, and the GIL

Martin v. Löwis martin@v.loewis.de
11 Jan 2003 08:53:57 +0100

"Mark Hammond" <mhammond@skippinet.com.au> writes:

> The obvious question from this approach is how to deal with *multiple*
> libraries in one app.  For example, what happens when a single Python
> application wishes to use Boost *and* xpcom, and both attempt their
> bootstrap prelude, each providing a TLS implementation?

I would advise to follow Tim's strategy: Make TLS part of the thread_*
files, accept that on some threading configuration, there won't be TLS
until somebody implements it, and make TLS usage part of the core
instead of part of the extension module.

I doubt any of the potential TLS providers supports more than Win32 or
pthreads.

Regards,
Martin