[Python-Dev] Interop between datetime and mxDateTime

Mark Hammond mhammond@skippinet.com.au
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 11:57:01 +1100

[Guido]
> The proposal also recomments an abstract base type, "basetime", for
> all time types.  Without this, cmp() is hard to do (see Tim's post for
> explanation; we don't want datetime objects to be comparable to
> objects with arbitrary other types, because the default comparison iss
> meaningless).
>
> This could be a pure "marker" type, like "basestring".  Marc-Andre,
> if we export basetime from the core, can mxDateTime subclass from
> that?

I have the exact same issue for my COM time objects, and like MAL, just
recently started thinking about it.

Certainly, such a subclass would help me enormously, and would probably make
it quite simple for this to allow *any* datetime object to be passed to
COM/Windows functions.  If we can do the same for MAL (ie, a Python datetime
magically works anywhere an mxDateTime did before), then this would be a
real bonus :)

Mark.