[Python-Dev] Interop between datetime and mxDateTime

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 20:22:38 -0600

    Tim> Let me ask a question: when I tried to make datatime.tzinfo a pure
    Tim> "marker" type, I eventually had to give up, because I absolutely
    Tim> could not make it work with pickling (and recalling that pickles
    Tim> produced by datetime.py had to be readable by datetimemodule.c, and
    Tim> vice versa).

I haven't been following any of the datetime machinations closely, but this
issue of reading pickles caught my eye.  Why would the two versions have to
be able to instantiate each others' pickles?  That seems like an
unreasonable constraint to place on things.  Is there something
platform-dependent in datetimemodule.c that would mean it couldn't be built
everywhere?  I thought datetime.py was simply a place to try out new ideas
before moving them to C.

Skip