[Python-Dev] Adding Japanese Codecs to the distro

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 10:32:29 +0100

Hisao SUZUKI has just recently uploaded a patch to SF which
includes codecs for the Japanese encodings EUC-JP, Shift_JIS and
ISO-2022-JP and wants to contribute the code to the PSF.

The advantage of his codecs over the ones written by Tamito
KAJIYAMA (http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~rd6t-kjym/python/)
lies in the fact that Hisao's codecs are small (88kB) and
written in pure Python. This makes it much easier to adapt
the codecs to special needs or to correct errors.

Provided Hisao volunteers to maintain these codecs, I'd like
to suggest adding them to Python's encodings package and making
them the default implementations for the above encodings.

Ideal would be if we could get Hisao and Tamito to team up
to support these codecs (I put him on CC).

Adding the codecs to the distribution would give Python a very
good argument in the Japanese world and also help people working
with XML or HTML targetting these locales.

Thoughts ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH