[Python-Dev] Adding Japanese Codecs to the distro

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 17:05:21 +0100

Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>     MAL> Adding the codecs to the distribution would give Python a
>     MAL> very good argument in the Japanese world and also help people
>     MAL> working with XML or HTML targetting these locales.
>
> +1
>
>     MAL> Ideal would be if we could get Hisao and Tamito to team up
>     MAL> to support these codecs (I put him on CC).
>
> Yes, please.  I've been using Tamito's codecs in Mailman and the
> Japanese users on my list have never complained, so I take that as
> that they're doing their job well.

I'm not biased in any direction here. Again, I'd love to see the
two sets be merged into one, e.g. take the Python ones from Hisao
and use the C ones from Tamito if they are installed instead.

> Let's please try to get consensus before we choose one or the other,
> but I agree, I'd love to see them in Python.

Sure.

> What about other Asian codecs?

The other codecs in the SF Python Codecs project have license
and maintenance problems. Most of these stem from Tamito's
original codec which was under GPL.

There are plenty other encodings we'd need to cover most
of the Asian scripts. However, in order for them to be usable
we'll have to find people willing to maintain them or at least
make sure that they fit the need and are correct in their
operation (where "correct" means usable in real life).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH